Project Life - July - Capturing winter magic in NP

Friday, July 25, 2014


During the July school holidays, I flew to New Plymouth with Anna to spend 3 nights with mum and dad and catch up with all the family.  The weather in the days prior to leaving was VERY windy and stormy. Although it had calmed down significantly by the time of our flight, it was the roughest take off I've ever experienced!  I have flown into Wellington on a very windy day though, so I know it can be a lot worse!

We had a lovely, relaxing few days and the weather stayed pretty kind to us, although the first full day was a bit wet. I wasn't going to let that deter me from getting out in the garden to find a bit of their winter magic. My parents are very keen gardeners and although they say there's not much to look at in winter, I beg to differ. At first I think they thought I was a little crazy, out in the drizzle with my DSLR, but dad was keen to see what I'd photographed and before I knew it, he was my sidekick, holding pots out and pointing me in the direction of his beloved plants. That was pretty special:)

I'm not sure he grasped fully that for me the magic lay in the rain drops nestling on the petals, the moss attached to a little wall, the rain drops sitting on the clothes line, as much as the beautiful flowers and foliage.

My nerdy attention to focusing on the little things paid off when I stood under the eaves quietly with my zoom lens and waited for the gorgeous little Waxeyes to start feeding off the special treat. I'm thrilled with my results from this little exercise.

And then one morning, the mountain (Mt Taranaki) was uncovered and I snapped this photo from the back door step, before the clouds formed again. I was brought up on a farm under this mountain. It holds a special place in my heart and for me this capture was pure magic.

I wrote about my reason for adding some 12x12 layouts again to my PL album here. I'm not done with 8.5x11. Just mixing it up. These pages make up part of my July pages.

Supplies used:
Becky Higgins pages - 12 x12 full page + Design A
Becky Higgins Project Life Midnight Edition Digital cards
Ali Edwards digital elements
Paislee Press digital elements (ampersand)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a majestic view from your parents back door step!! The photos of the birds is my favourite. I love your project life pages and really enjoy your photos...gives me inspiration to get outside in this miserable Winter.

    Elise (Victoria, Australia)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elise. So pleased to have inspired you:)

      Delete

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)