Hybrid, Digital or good old Paper and Glue?

Saturday, July 4, 2015

I've been working mostly in the land of hybrid scrapbooking for a few years now. When I say hybrid, it's really only hybrid because I print out physical photos and cards and place them in an album. Occasionally I go totally digital and make a photo book. Then come the days I long to make something with paper and glue... or more likely, stamps, paper and a stapler!

I'm just starting on working my way through Ali Edwards TYPE class. It's almost the last week and I'm just getting started. I've been following each week but I've been working on a BIG project which has taken a huge chunk of my time and I wanted to give it my heart and soul until I pressed the final button. Hopefully I can share details soon. When I finish something with a big focus, I like to have something else lined up to work on after an initial rest (and cleaning up everything else put on hold).

So, back to the TYPE class; I've watched Ali pull her layouts together and oh my, does it make me want to make some layouts in a traditional manner again! I've always been a big fan of her clean and classic style. So why don't I just do it? Well the main reason is a constant conflict inside of me about stuff. Storing physical product. Mostly, though it's storing the end product - albums and more albums. Yes, even physical Project Life means at least one album each year. They're bulky and heavy when full. I'm trying to simplify and feel I'm losing the battle in my house!

But... I do love having a tangible album to look through and keep up to date. Storing digital layouts and then having printed in one book each year MAKES. SO. MUCH. SENSE. I just don't think I have patience to wait.

I always think at the start of each year, that I'll record less. Yeah right, that's never going to happen. I love taking photos. It's my passion. I love recording snippets of everyday life. We forget so much. I just read this quote which sums this up:

"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." AARON SISKIND

I think the only way around this is to keep doing some of each. To tap into all sources I'm drawn to and let it work itself out. I mean, for me it's pointless deciding to go all digital for the sake of storage and find I just don't enjoy the process.

What I've decided is that I'm going to make a photo book of stories for my TYPE class lessons. That will satisfy my digital and typography pull. I might let myself loose on my personal 6x8 album with some physical product. And Project Life... I seem to be in a system for that.

As we've tipped over into the second half of the year (!), I'm going to let myself start thinking about how I'll approach everything in 2016! Doesn't that sound weird?

How do you decide your format? Are you concerned with storage?


6 comments:

  1. Yes, very concerned about storage of big 12x12 albums and I have far too many as it is. This is the year I think I might get away with only one PL album as other years its been two. Very happy about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had 1 album per year so far, although they are very full and heavy. This year is filling up a little fast!

      Delete
  2. When I started in 2012 I started with monthly, so I have one 12x12 with three years. It's full and heavy! I like to have the physical photos; the digital books seem "flat" to me; no depth. For 2015 I'm going to do it by season. Winter 2015 will be a little in the beginning (Jan 1 - Mar 20) and a little at the end (Dec 21 - Dec 31). We'll see how that works. I think this will be easier so I don't have to do a certain number of pages per month or whatever. Just a more easy flow per season. Still, I do wonder who is going to want these in the end; but I'm enjoying it so I guess that's all that matters for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get this. I think each has merit but I still love the actual photos in an album. I wonder who will want it all too, but now my teen daughter is interested. She's making her own album though so back to 'more to store'. Love the season idea.

      Delete
  3. I'm currently completely digital because I can't hold albums or even large photo books. I've got one small home-printed 6 x 4 album of a holiday to Poland eight years ago, one of the first and only ones I've made! I'm now doing Project Life in 7 x 5 format to home-print possibly, or make into a 7 x 5 photo book because that's about the only size I can handle. Not entirely sure what I'll do with my earlier 12 x 12 pages - might have to redo them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of 7x5. I really love working smaller sizes.

      Delete

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)